Friday, February 4, 2011

I didn't hurt the plumber

I have to admit, today it might be difficult to come up with a good random act of kindness.. I had to stretch a bit. Our hot water heater decided to leak (starting the first day of our vacation in maui).. Over the last three weeks, I've been managing multiple insurance companies, building managers, association managers, security officers, water remediation teams, electricians, plumbers and my growing impatience. We're now at week three of not hot water in the house, and we're living in a hotel room. Life, it seems, is not very fair right now.

Yesterday, the approved reconstructionist was supposed to come to our house to make his appraisal. He couldn't get down our street because the city hadn't plowed. So he rescheduled for Tuesday of next week. After a bried phone call, where I explained that Tuesday of next week wouldn't work, but that today would, he promised to show up.

He was scheduled to be here between 8 - 830.. We woke up at the hotel, took showers (thank goodness for hot water) and trooped the four blocks home in minus 2 temps.. Arrived at the house at 745 to find that the water main had burst on our street - flooding our storage units..

Guess when he showed up? 9:48.

Yup.

9:48

And he walked into our light beige carpeted living room and over our wood floors and into our beige carpeted hallway to assess the damage, all while dragging snow and ice melt and other assorted black things through our house. With an "oops - I'm outta my booties", as he continued to melt onto the carpet, he stepped into the destructo bathroom.

10 minutes later he was gone - with promised to fax over his estimate today.

I didn't kill him. Or swear at him. Or kick him. Or even make mention of it.

And as soon as he walked out the door, without a word,  my amazing partner got out the resolve and he started to clean the carpets.

Now, if that isn't the best most random act of kindness to that plumber, I don't know what is.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment